Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What a difference a week makes...

As I write this blog, I'm lying in a bed at the Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) hooked up to the Stem Cell collection machine. Today is the first day we've been able to collect, my white blood cell and platelet counts have been too low. So today is our lucky day; my WBC has rebounded to (almost) normal levels and my platelet count is good. The goal over the next 2 or 3 days is to collect 20 million stem cells (sounds like a lot). The stem cells they collect will be used for both transplants. The first transplant is scheduled for the first week in October, and the second probably around the first of December.

This past week has been a whirlwind; not sure the best way to describe it, other than to say our lives have changed dramatically over the course of a week. Marleigh has done a good job of describing the situation on the previous posts. So I thought I would update everyone with what has been happening on this side.

As you know I spent almost a week in the hospital at DHMC, returning home on Labor day. On Wednesday (Me and Marleigh's 20th anniversary) I was on a plane headed to Utah. I was greeted at the airport, not only by my father and sister, but also Frank and Elaine Anderson (good friends who reside in UT but also have a home in VT), Richard and Kathy Hall (who are like my second parents), and my cousin (and friend)Tara and her son Jordan. It was quite a reception, and some say that I almost cried (others say there was no doubt about it-I blubbered like a baby) though I would most likely deny it. I headed straight to the HCI from the airport, where they were expecting me. After a long day of traveling, I then had a Bone Marrow Biopsy and an MRI (my two favorite things... see previous posts). Needless to say, it was a long day. I've returned every day since then for my lab work and to meet with the Doctors. We have been waiting for my numbers to rebound so that the stem cell collection could begin, and today is the day. Again the objective is to move as quickly to transplant as possible, so this is the first step towards that. This collection will continue tomorrow and Friday. Then I get a bit of a break.
On Monday I had a 'Central Line' (not sure what the correct medical terminology would be) put into my neck. This allows them to hook up the collection machine. This line has two ports sticking right out of my neck (I'm set for Halloween-I look a little bit like Frankenstein). The collection machine draws blood out of one of the lines, separates the stem cells, then puts the blood back in through the other line.

So that's the situation for me at the moment. I owe you another post to let you know of the wonderful people who have stepped up to help us on this side of the country. I also need express my gratitude for the good folks in New Hampshire/Vermont who have been so good to me and my family. Again, I will do that with a separate post.

But for now, know that I am in good hands. The folks here at Huntsman have been great and I feel very confident in the direction that we're going. I believe that all the prayers and fasting have led us here.

Blaine

8 comments:

  1. Howdy Friend -- Wish I could be there to do a therapy dog visit in person but it does sound like you are in good hands. Mom says to tell you she and Dave are praying for you, Marleigh and the kids. Rocky Varney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our prayers and thoughts are with you daily...sending lots of positive vibes your way, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We rolled into SLC today and are hoping to see you sometime while we are here. Can you have visitors while they are taking your stem cells? We are going to be on the U of U campus on Friday afternoon. We'll call your cell!

    Hugs!
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. It dawned on me yesterday as I was driving to your house to say good-bye to your family, that Marleigh put you on a plane for Utah on your anniversary. When I got to the house, Marleigh confirmed that it was your 20th anniversary!!! I know that your health is the only anniversary gift she wants.
    I am so sorry for the suffering and turmoil in your lives right now, but thrilled for the special graces God is pouring out upon your family. He has His hand on you in a special way. I know you know this.
    I have to say your wife is amazing, Blaine:) I've known her for a long time, and she has always been amazing. She is so strong and her one goal is getting herself and the kids to you...which she is in the process of accomplishing as I type. It must be the "brassy New Englander" in her:)
    I will miss you all, but know that your were truly led through prayer and fasting to Utah and this clinic. You will all be in our prayers and close to our hearts.
    Much love-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been checking on your progress and happy to hear from you directly that things are moving forward - prayers for a safe trip for your family and success with your transplant. Thank you for your faithfulness and courage - it's a real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa said it perfectly!!
    Blaine, you are in my thoughts and prayers daily as are Marleigh and the kids and the rest of your family - my how large that is. I am confident that you are exactly where you need to be!
    After helping pack your house last Saturday, many of us trecked down to Boston for the Liver Life Walk on Sunday that we thought was 5k and turned out to be 5 MILES!! The 7 and 8 year olds struggled toward the end but finished the walk... albeit in last place. There were 1500 participants who have raised over $165k so far for liver research and education. It's good to make a difference where we can.
    In 2 weeks, on Sept. 26th (Ralph's 46th b-day), the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation is having a 5k walk/run in Boston that I am creating a team for and doing fundraising to help serve such a worthy cause that has touched our family so profoundly. This is in honor of you and all the other families putting up the battle of their lives - for their lives.
    You, Marleigh, and the kids are truly an inspiration to everyone about the power and strength of family and faith. I am glad we all can do a small part in supporting you in this battle. All those wanting to join or support this cause can go to www.mmrfrace.org/boston . Our team is Savage Strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gosh Blaine what can I say - you and your family have been such a strong inspiration amidst the struggles and trials you have all been going through. I thank God you are in Utah and in the best hands - God is so powerful! He alone works wonders in our lives and He has certainly worked powerfully in yours and Marleighs lives. My prayer now is for complete success in everything the doctors are doing for you out there - God Bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Bis. Time for my input You and your clan are already SORELY missed here in New Hampshire Vermont. A bit of heartache but our thoughts and prayers with you.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete