Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Oh Give me a Home...

Today I realized that we are truly in the west. As Josh and his cousin came home with two 17 inch cut-throat trout they had just caught, they were stalled. The road they were coming down was filled with a herd of cattle, being moved by a man with a cowboy hat, on a horse. They had to wait until the cattle were herded down the road and into the corral they were headed to before coming home to show off their catch. It brought back memories. Their Grandpa, Kent, had been on plenty of cattle drives in his day in more rugged territory than this. He also used to ride the bulls in rodeos. He was a real cowboy.

Over 20 years ago I was riding in a pick-up in central Utah, on a road with no houses, and no traffic - except for the herd of sheep (must have been over a thousand). They were in no hurry. We had to go extremely slowly through the herd, as they were not going to run just for a truck. Sheep and cattle herds roam free during certain times of the year on range land, and are herded back to their winter grounds in the fall. Yep, real cattle drives. Just after Blaine and I were married, we were in his Dad's Dodge Ram up on the Parker Mountain in southern Utah. We saw a cloud of dust moving toward us, and kept going. The closer it got, the more excited we got. It was a herd of hundreds of antelope (well, at least 50) and they were headed right for us. We sped up and they kept coming. They weren't veering off, and instead seemed bent on hitting us. When they got really close, as we were still going plenty fast, they simply turned as one and ran next to us. It was sooooo COOL! I opened my window, as they matched our speed. I could see and hear their breathing, the straining of thier muscles and the thunder of their hooves. I could have easily reached out and touched them. It was amazing that they didn't hit the truck. Eventually they went in another direction, and we slowed, in awe of what had just happened. It was so exciting.

Just as the sun goes down, and just before it comes up, is prime wildlife viewing. Yesterday evening, Blaine and I took a ride not more than two miles away where there are fields near some foothills. There were hundreds and hundreds of deer feeding on the green grass. We have seen a few turkeys, though nothing like the number we see in the east. When driving on the Alpine Loop on Mt. Timpanogas a week ago, we saw a HUGE bull elk with a rack of antlers that would make the most avid hunter drool. He was magnificent, and the views were some of the most stunning I have seen. That's saying something here in the Rockies. While I miss the foliage, this corner of the west is still just a little wild.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds really great out there! Very cool antelope story! The foliage was pretty vivid this year, but came a bit early. Is there no foliage in the west? Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new/old home.

    How was the fish? Way to go, Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man that makes me homesick. can't wait to see it in April when Cindy and I move back to Ogden. i am transferring within Sears. im comin home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my brother almost missed John's and my wedding because of a herd of sheep on the road to Manti. Remember that day? Ron had to almost carry Blaine up the stairs with his broken leg. I am so glad you guys were there. And I am glad that things are going according to plan with the treatment, now if only that plan could get a little easier! Love to you both, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh cooked the fish, and it was tasty. There are much fewer trees here, and where there is timber, it is mostly pine, so the foliage is nothing like it is in New England. However, it is still beautiful, just in a different way. The mountains are snow-capped, and the air is crisp and cool.

    The sheep herd we experienced was in the Manti area as well. I DO remember that day very well, and even seem to remember waiting. Love the spiral stairs in Manti. Joshua was just over a week old. Hope you and John come to visit family here sometime. We would love to see you.

    When you get to Utah, please let us know. I hope Cristy and Cyle come with you. Hope all is well for you guys. Take care.

    Love, Marleigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing on the west Marleigh - Wayne and I have been out there and it is beautiful!
    Keeping you all in prayer!
    Love
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved hearing your "wild west" stories. My mom and dad love visiting Yellowstone and Idaho this time of year but it's been awhile. They've seen those cattle drives which Mom loves, especially the cowboys! Dad keeps checking out the guest ranches hoping to convince mom to go on a cattle drive. As for me, I liked your sheep story -- must be the shepherd in me, eh? Take in some more great sights for us Easterners, okay? Glad to here you are out and about -- Rocky Varney

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great it is that things are comfortable enough for the moment to take some quiet time and ride out to appreciate the beauty that surrounds you. You write so clearly Marleigh, I felt like I was there with you. While we all deeply miss just knowing you are close by anytime we get a chance to catch up, I am so grateful you are where you need to be, surrounded with beauty and love. Bless all of you and bless your Utah team!
    Hug,
    Liz :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope Blaine didn't climb Mt Olympus!!. I know he will be ready for that trip soon. Glad to hear great things from the wild west. I have never been there but it I now have to add it to my bucket list. Thanks for the positive news. Hope to hear a lot more

    ReplyDelete