Sunday, August 30, 2009

Birthday Presents

Everybody loves birthday presents. Kyle says his favorites have been the archery equipment (bow and arrows, quiver, arm guards, etc) and also his BB/Pellet gun. And of course his fishing pole. Josh always likes his baseball stuff; gloves, bats, etc. One of Dani's favorites was the BYU Basketball Camp she went to (which she won MVP at). Alexis favorite 'present' was actually her b-day party this past year. Marleigh remembers the ice skates. It's hard for me to remember all my previous birthday presents.I remember bikes and watches and things like that.
Well, tomorrow is my birthday and I'm spending it at DHMC. This is my Re-Staging day, the day we determine where my cancer is at. Last time we did this the news was good, very good. We determined that it was in remission. Unfortunately it came back very quickly. My medical team made some adjustments to my Chemo regime; putting me on Thalydomide and taking me off Revlimid. They also made adjustments my Velcade. And of course, they added Cytoxin to the list Chemo medication; this is the nasty bugger that took my hair, made me neutrapenic, wacked out my blood counts. However, the cancer had wacked out white, red, and platelets, as the bone marrow was compromised, and could not produce the blood cells it normally did. The Thalydomide had side effects that were hurting more than helping, so I'm back on Revlimid. So I'm not sure what to expect this time. I think it'll be remission again, we'll see. Either way, I will take all the results with me to Dana Farber Cancer Center in Boston on the 10th to meet with Dr. Richardson, who is a Myeloma only Oncologist. Then we'll go from there. We don't know what he will recommend, but we are assuming, contingent upon results from tomorrow, that the plan is still to get me into remission, then move to stem cell (bone marrow) transplant.
So my wish for a Birthday present is good results from the Re-Staging. That'll be a present I remember.

Blaine

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and good luck. Remission would be a nice present. Let me know if you want company when you go to Dana farber. I will gladly go with you for support if you want.
    Vic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for a memorable and very happy birthday...and many more!
    Lots of love from our family to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our birthday wish and prayer for you as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently started following your blog. I have MM too (diagnosed in June 2008, hip replacement surgery due to pathological fracture, 7 cycles of velcade/dex, auto stem cell transplant in February 2009, CR for 7 months...just found out M Spike has returned). Anyway...I just wanted to say Happy Birthday...and guess what? Tomorrow (8/31) is my birthday too! Don't tell anyone - but I'm turning 50! So...here's to us...may we both enjoy many future birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May your birthday wish be true....

    Love,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Blaine,
    We will pray for a fabulous Birthday present for you tomorrow! We can appreciate the feeling that you must be experiencing tonight. You are a wonderful example to all of us and continue to strengthen us by your courage! Thank you for letting us be apart of your journey and to do our part to be there for you and your family.... if only in prayers!

    We love you and all of your family!
    Lovingly,
    The Franzen crew

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is my wish for a fabulous Birthday present for you...My thoughts are with you and the family...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Bishop!!! from Nova Scotia. Looking forward to reading the good news and hoping you get to enjoy your favorite things today and for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Blaine and here's hoping for a Very Happy Birthday for you and the whole family!! A few years ago, we wound up celebrating Ralph's birthday 3 seperate times (unintentionally). I am sure that should your news come back as we all pray it will, we will celebrate your birthday many times this year as well!!
    Love and blessings to all of you!!
    Liz and family

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm hoping that NO news is GOOD news, but I admit, I'm worried, since you haven't posted an update.

    Alanna

    ReplyDelete