Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Job

OK, I'm no Vin Diesel or Bruce Willis. But I'm not Darth Vader either, that's a good thing. Actually, I'm starting to like it. Easy maintenance; faster showers, no shampoo, no combing. Easy. I need to work on the color a little- too white for the rest of my head. It'll get there.

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Westford, Ma- attending a training session for my company: ICS 8400 R6, learning fascinating stuff like XML, PRS, RSI, etc.

So, this is the kind of company I work for. I received an email the other day from my boss's boss (Senior Director of Enterprise for North America Region) telling me that he was riding in the Pan Mass Challenge, he has done so for the last few years. It raises money and awareness for cancer. Obviously it's a terrific cause, I just wanted to share his email with you;
"I just wanted to send a quick note of sincere thanks for your donation to the PMC charity ride. With your contributions, you are part of the PMC family and together we are united in making a difference in the on-going fight against cancer this weekend.

I am amazed at your generosity this year – despite the very unstable economic climate and our nation’s highest level of unemployment in decades, I was able to gain my highest number of sponsors this year and outpace my previous years high contribution mark, by raising over $4,200 in donations!

My ride this year is in honor of many people – some who have lost their battle (Russ, Tracey), some who are in the process of fighting the cancer (Blaine, Tom, Trish, Karen, Cecile) and some that are “Living Proof” survivors (Mike, Annmarie, Britany)

My brother John and I dedicate our ride this year to our Pedal Partner, Patrick (see photo attached) – A great little boy who is bravely and successfully fighting his fight ……

For those of you who are local to Massachusetts – NECN will be broadcasting the opening ceremonies live, starting tonight at 6:30pm and throughout the weekend – please take some time to watch this great event. God Bless."

The support from Alcatel-Lucent has been tremendous; not to mention the great insurance coverage, training schedules and locations have been completely reworked to line up with my chemo schedules. The class I'm attending now was originally schedule for California, but they rescheduled (in large part to accommodate me) for it to happen in Massachusetts; flying a least 5 people in from Texas, Illinois, and California. When I'm not attending or teaching a course, I have a home office. It has been such a boost to be able to have the flexibility to go to my appointments, all with A-L's blessing.

So, in a nutshell; I am grateful for good employment and for the good people I work with.

Blaine

2 comments:

  1. One has to wonder about the divine intervention involved in your last bout of unemployment and the road that brought you to your current employer. It's a major blessing, for sure. But, let's look on the other side and see how lucky they are to have YOU for an employee! Their gain. I'm so happy to hear that you are strong enough this week to be traveling to a class. I'm sure you're enjoying the "normalness" of it all.

    Hugs!
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Alanna - yes, you are fortunate to have them as an employer but, they are also very fortunate to have you as an employee!

    You are most lucky to be able to work...I have another friend who is undergoing chemo who now has no job...

    ReplyDelete