Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back in control


Fun facts from WebMD:
Chemotherapy (also known as chemo) works by killing fast-growing cancer cells. Unfortunately, chemotherapy drugs can’t always tell the difference between cancer cells and fast-growing healthy cells, including red and white blood cells. As a result, one of the most serious potential side effects of many types of chemotherapy drugs is a low white blood cell count. Chemo that causes this side effect is described as myelosuppressive (my-eh-low-suh-PRESS-iv), because it suppresses your production of white blood cells. A low number of a specific type of white blood cells called neutrophils,—also known as neutropenia (new-tro-pee-nee-uh)—can put some patients at risk for severe infections and may interrupt chemo treatment. In fact, complications associated with a low white blood cell count are the most common causes of dose reductions or delays in chemotherapy. A sufficient white blood cell count may enable your doctors to administer chemotherapy according to their treatment schedule.


After my Monday trip to DHMC (for labs and infusion) life seems to be settling back to normal. I feel like I'm back in control. My White Blood counts have returned to normal (almost 3.6 where 4.0 is normal). My other numbers have all rebounded, so I'm feeling much better than the last time I posted. Before my white blood counts made me 'neutrapenic'- see the above description. So I really had to lay low for a few days with very limited exposure to the outside word.

But, as of yesterday my numbers have bounced back and I feel much more in control. My energy level is good, no fevers, no night sweats.

So for now, I feel like I'm back in control.

Included is a shot of the Three Amigo's; Dad, Alexis, and Kyle.


5 comments:

  1. feeling in control is a good thing...hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you are feeling better. Still praying over here. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Goodness!! I needed some good news today. Prays and faith in your continued progress and conquest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PRAISE GOD!
    Love and Prayers - Wayne and Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this picture by the way!

    ReplyDelete