Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Queue Sound Effects...

So tomorrow I go in for "Re-Staging" (queue dramatic sound effects). This means a very long day. It starts with an hour long presentation that I'm conducting for my employment (Omni Touch Contact Center- Premium Edition- very exciting stuff. I'll send you the Power Point if your interested : ).

Then we drive (very fast) to DHMC in Hanover for 10am Xrays, an 11am MRI (I hate MRI's- Big guy, small tube- not a good combination), 12 noon Labs, a 1:30 meeting with our oncology fellow (Dr. Reddy- very nice man), and finally 2:30 Bone Marrow biopsy (again, queue sound effects- the scary kind). Didn't do so well the last time I had the biopsy- took them several 'attempts' for them to get what they needed. I say attempts but it was more like several stabbings/diggings/scrapes/torture. Very uncomfortable/painful. Hopefully tomorrow goes better.

Now, I'm generally a very low key guy- not much gets me too worked up (OK- the news that I had cancer worked me up pretty good- but generally). So I'm not going to get too excited about tomorrow. As I see it tomorrow holds several possibilities.
Door #1- the Chemo could be working and I continue on through the 8 cycles that were originally scheduled.
Door #2- the Chemo is really working and they say no more cycles (I'm just finishing up my 4th cycle) and they use the big 'R' word... (queue good sound effect - Remission). At this point we start to talk seriously about the Bone Marrow transplant (queue ominous sound effect).
Door #3- the chemo is not working- back to the drawing board (queue sad sound effects).

I'm also a pretty optimistic guy- I think generally things will work out for the best. I honestly believe I get what is behind Door #2. I believe that the chemo is working and I believe that we are going to move to the next phase- Bone Marrow transplant. I know, be careful what you wish for... But obviously, this holds the best chance for me to survive. Marleigh has posted previously what the bone marrow transplant entails; 3 weeks in the hospital, a serious round of chemo that will kill my living bone marrow (good and bad), wipe out my immune system, certainly take my hair, as well as affect my digestion system in such a way that I may finally lose those 20 pounds I've needed to lose for years (told you I was an optimist). They will then give me my own, previously harvested stem cells, which will regrow a hopefully cancer free marrow (what a world we live in).

Now my optimism is based on a lot of faith/prayers/fasts/more prayers/a great medical team. Ultimately, my fate lies in God's hands, but I feel like we're doing all we can to beat this thing. I know that there is not yet a cure for what I have, but I honestly believe I have a lot of years ahead of me, that I'll get to experience all those husband and fatherly things; weddings, missions, graduations, 30th year wedding anniversaries to the Bahamas/Hawaii/wherever. I honestly believe that I'll be around when they do come up with the cure (queue Hallelujah sound effects). I know what your thinking; it's a fine line between optimism and 'this guys not thinking straight'. But all I can say is... the right things will happen.

Blaine

8 comments:

  1. We'll be thinking of/praying for you tomorrow (more than normal!) and will hope for both the MRI and the biopsy to go better than you think. Find your "happy place" during these procedures and remove yourself there, to avoid participating too "fully" in the yucky stuff.
    Hugs!
    Brent and Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will keep you in our prayers tomorrow Blaine - praying for door #2. God is powerful!
    God Bless you -
    Wayne and Juanita Sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blaine and Marleigh,
    You will be very close to our hearts tomorrow. Praying for the very, very best outcome and all those weddings, births, graduations, 30th anniversaries and the rest. God can do all things. Many, many blessings to you, along with all our love,
    Scott and Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will keep you close in my thoughts and prayers during the day...I honestly feel Heavenly Father has a lot of things he still needs you to accomplish!

    Sara B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for all good things for you...we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly enjoy your posts - and who knew you were such a tlented and fun writer Blaine.... especially with the heavy topic!
    Well, much love and prayers are being sent from all directions to you - you get what you give and you certainly have always given the best. I have absolute, unwaivering belief in your ability to create the right outcome and will do anything in my power to support your journey.
    Love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love and prayers from Nova Scotia and the Dowsts.

    Brenda and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy -- I'm your virtual therapy dog stopping by to say hi and make you smile. My job is to cheer people up and make them feel good. I usually do this in person but Mom said you live quite a ways from me, so I could try being a virtual therapy dog. If you're game, then I am too! Check my blog (http://rockytherapydog.blogspot.com) -- it looks like yours! And I think it will make you smile. Be sure to scroll to the bottom and read "my story." I went through a tough time myself but I'm good as new now -- hope you will be soon, too! Rocky

    ReplyDelete