Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Smooth Sailing...

Tomorrow I complete the 2nd week of my 3 week cycle. A cycle for me is 2 weeks with chemo, 1 week off. So my schedule for the 2 weeks is Monday and Thursdays, then some downtime for the 3rd week.

It's hard to say how many cycles I will have, but it'll be at least 8 cycles (up to 12). If it is just the 8 cycles, I should complete the chemo portion sometime in August. If it is 12 cycles, then sometime in November.

After the chemo portion has been completed (and hopefully remission) then we start to talk about the Bone Marrow transplant (sounds fun, doesn't it?). Not really looking forward to this. In the hospital, they took a bone marrow biopsy from me a couple of days after the surgery. Honestly, this was one of the worst parts of the whole ordeal. Even worse than removing the tumor. At least with the tumor I was knocked out cold, but even afterwards the pain from the wound has been pretty minimal. But the biopsy didn't have all the medications and it took them a few tries to get a 'good' sample from each side of my hip. Again, not fun. And for those keeping score at home, the MRI was the 2nd worse part- I mean I'm a big guy and lying completely enclosed in a tube, on top of a recently operation back- and not being able to move. Not a good combination.

Where was I... oh yeah- chemo. So far I haven't had really any issue's with the chemo; not much nasuea and I don't think I've lost a single strand of hair. My body functions are relatively normal. The biggest effect has been fatique, I've been pretty tired. Tired I can handle (even though I did fall asleep during Amercian Idol last night-what a tragedy).

So, so far... Smooth sailing.

Again, Thank you for all that you've done for us. It is so very appreciated.

Blaine

6 comments:

  1. Hi Blaine. You're in my thoughts. If you ever really want to know what to expect, you can get ahold of me.
    Hillary
    (friend of Alanna's www.baldiesblog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That's more than a full time job you described in medical interventions. I'm off to the temple tomorrow - you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it has been "smooth sailing" and that you haven't had any terrible reactions to the chemo.

    I'm out of town this week-end but, I'll be back the second Sunday in April...

    Thinking of you and yours - and keeping you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you too, Sweetie- now get back to your homework :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was good to see you Wed with no cane! Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete