Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back in the Saddle...


Today, I've completed the last chemo/infusion of my 2nd cycle. Two cycles down, it looks like six more to go. I should complete the chemo part of this 'ride' sometime in August. Midway through (3-4 months) I go through another evaluation (MRI's, bone scan, etc.) to determine how things look. If all is well, at the end of the 8th cycle we start to talk about bone marrow transplant (from my own stem cell's).
I've handled the chemo well; haven't been really sick, lost no hair, not too irritable(?). The biggest issue has been fatigue; not a lot of energy and I feel like I could sleep anytime. Actually, I know this is a little contradictory but I've had nights where I couldn't sleep at all. I forget which drug does that to me but I don't like it. Weird.
I've officially return to work; I had been on short-term disability for a couple of months... even though I've been working the whole time (emails, conference calls, preparing my courses, etc.). My company has been great. They've been very supportive and understanding. They've sent me flowers, cookies and I've been bombarded with emails from friends/co-workers who have wished me well. So I'm grateful for Alcatel-Lucent.
I continue to stay busy with my Church responsibilities, which I'm also grateful for. I need to stay active... It's good medicine- better than chemo.
So, for the most part 'I'm back in the saddle again'. We're looking forward to Dani coming home next week for the summer. She'll be going to Paris in the fall (the one in France not Texas) for the 'semester abroad' program for BYU. She's very excited. We are also looking forward to having Grandpa come out to stay with us for a time (we hope a long time). We're not sure how soon that will happen, but hopefully sooner rather than later.
So all things considered, life is good. We have a few challenges, but who doesn't. We miss our Mom/Grandma, but know all is well with her. And we are looking forward to having a great Spring and Summer.

Blaine

2 comments:

  1. Great!! Sounds like you are doing very well, considering. After all, all any of us can do is live each day to the fullest and appreciate each and every one that comes to us.
    Lots of love,

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your updates - so good to hear your responding soooo well!! Much love and hugs to all of you.
    God bless!
    Liz and clan

    ReplyDelete